05 June 2008

my love for netflix

i'm housesitting in eagle this month, and because i know my personality, i quickly predicted that i would become a couch-confined blob eating lots of peant m&m's and occasionally indulging in a crossword puzzle or sudoku from the newspaper. fortunately, that hasn't been the entire case. although, a certain entity has brought me endless happiness:

netflix.

i should preface this post with an interesting andrea fact: my first "real" job was working as a guest service representative at hollywood video in eagle. yes, it's true. i rented nearly 300 movies in a span of 2 years (although in my defense, some of those rentals were video games for my brother or movies for the parental unit). after i stopped working for that lovely corporation and shrugged off my starchy purple shirt and black pants uniform, i became really disgusted with the whole movie-watching process. the thought of immersing myself in an alternate world with fake characters and allowing my body ample time to deposit fat cells on my butt urged me to seek other recreational activities. you know, like myspace.

however, i decided that if i was going to be in a strange house, mostly alone, that i'd give netflix a try. the movies come to me, right? i spent near 45 minutes building a 60+ movie queue last thursday, and i was delighted to find the first 3 movies on my list waiting for me when i arrived at the house on sunday night. talk about fast service.

talk about spending hours on the comfy brown suede couch drunk on bloody marys (and vodka tonics. . . and coke with vanilla vodka. . . and beer, but who's keeping track?!) and laughing hysterically at the unlikely duo of bff's in "superbad" or bawling my eyes out (really. . . i feared for the healthy balance of saline in my eyeballs) to "p.s. i love you"-- SEE THIS, people!-- or scribbling in my notebook with small snippets of information from "what the bleep do we know?"

i mean seriously: talk about it! after i watched the first round of movies, i shared one with my mom and then sent the other two away. two days later, more are in the mailbox. it's like christmas/birthday/a hot first date combined. i've watched 5 movies in 5 days. it's incredible.

"lars and the real girl" is coming tomorrow. i can't wait.

4 comments:

Sarah Lenz said...

I, too, love Netflix. I just watched Lars and the Real Girl. It is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I'll be curious to hear what you thought of it.

I loved What the Bleep Do We Know? Have you seen anything else noteworthy lately?

Gator said...

Oh my goodness, you are the funniest person.

Andrea said...

sarah! thanks for your comment. "lars" was pretty good-- it was a little slow for me. i'm not a big chick flick kinda gal (they usually depress me...), but "p.s. i love you" was amazing.

miss gates said...

i get this way about renting movies off itunes... it's so addictive!! and i just watched "lars" finally... i rented it a few weeks ago, but didn't get around to it til monday. i liked it, but i agree with the slow thing. but emily mortimer is my favorite, so i'll watch anything with her in it! and ryan gosling made even a mustache look hot :)