23 November 2008

i can't be who you are.

i just woke up for the last time at my lovely little yellow hillview house. my room is bare except for my (gutted) desk, bed, and computer. some of my landlord's furniture lines the walls-- all empty. i feel like every keyboard stroke shatters against the bare blue paint, echoes glaringly off the gold curtains (now limp and pulled taut across the windows), and weighs heavily on the floorboards that creak with my last footsteps across the knots and separating planks.

i won't lie-- i'll miss pieces of you. but for the pieces i won't, i've boxed up our memories, sealed them tightly in a circular, green box and left them for you in the corner. parcel them out yourself.

be warned: you'll find cobwebs of wide smiles, dusty lint that whispers late night conversations stuck on repeat, and many, many pictures of regret.

goodbye, you bastard. may you reign here as unhappy as you were when i first shook your hand and fell for the mask they all still ignorantly accept.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Do you need me to beat someone up for you? I'm good at that.

And don't forget to sign-up for my giveaway! I'm harrassing everyone I know about this, because throwing a contest for 5 people is pretty effing lame. And I'm trying my hardest to be cool these days.

boo face mcjones said...

man, you are such a talented writer.

and as much as i want to tell you to forget about the stupid boy, i loved this post so much that i can't commit to that statement whole-hearedly (sorry...)