10 December 2008

a dear student

i complain a lot, don't i? it's such a misrepresentation of my life; i am continually reminded of the many blessings that enrich and complete me.

for example:

1. i have a fabulous new apartment all to myself. i can set the heater at 62 (please believe it, because anything else is a waste of money; that's why God invented fleece zip-ups and socks), i never have to look at a dirty dish collecting mold on the kitchen table, and i have a great view of several trees and an empty pond.

2. i love my peers, and i almost cried tonight when i walked to my car after saying goodbye to jessica after our last 561 class of the semester-- of ever.

3. i realize that no phd program will ever accept me based on my lack of scholarly research, publications, etc., but at least i don't slander the literary name like jodie foster did in "the brave one": she used robert frost's line of poetry "i could not stop for death so he kindly stopped for me" as her justification for her vigilante killing spree.

4. on the last day of 101, one of my students came up to me afterwards and said he was sad that our class was over. (insert my heart breaking here.)

then he asked if it was okay that he signed up for an hour block to go over his portfolio with me during conferences. he said our unit 3 conference helped him a lot and he wanted to make sure he had enough time for the portfolio conference. both unit 3 and portfolio conferences were optional. (insert pieces of broken heart breaking into smaller pieces.)

and then during our hour long conference going over two of his poems, he said, "can i come back later this week to talk about my short story? this is so helpful. i don't know what i'd do without you."

i thought my students had stolen my soul, tortured it with their eye-rolling, taunted it with their finger-guns silently blowing out their nonexistent brains, and crushed its vibrant desires into runny pulp and squelched dreams. but this student's comments reminded me that i do indeed still have a soul.

and that soul will miss teaching.

4 comments:

Arijaan Bulk said...

oh my goodness - you are so like your mom with the temperature! :) and yay for great students! love you!

boo face mcjones said...

your own apartment!!! hooray!

but i can't help myself, it's dickinson, andrea. dickinson. my poetic heart throb. which makes the jodie foster reference even more sickening.

and i can't wait to sit next to you at graduation, but you have to promise not to harrass me because i'll look like a boy in my cap with no hair. promise?

Andrea said...

i am ashamed. dickinson. i don't like when movies use literary quotes like that.

and i'm so glad about graduation, and seeing your new haircut!

Diane said...

62 degrees! I'm not sure if all the socks and fleece jackets in the world would keep me warm at that temp. My nose would be all red and runny.

And kudos on the sweet student moment - those ones make all the crappy ones totally worth it.