27 October 2010

new: Asian market

today, I visited the new Asian market in Boise. it's been open for about 2 months, according to the nice employee who patiently waited on me as I squealed over the Hello Kitty barrettes. I wandered through the market, observing the odd:






the delicious:






the awesome:






the questionable:






the uncanny:






the petite:





until I found exactly what I was looking for:





it's owned by a man named Ray and his wife, and they purchase the majority of their goods from Chinatown in San Francisco-- so rest assured that you are probably not supporting Vietnamese terrorism or pagan black market mobsters. Peace sign, and out.

2 comments:

Ken Edwards said...

Hi,

I was wondering what type of attitude the general population has there towards Asians.

My wife is from Beijing, and we now live in southern California with many Asians here, but we wish to expand our natural surroundings and have some quiet time. Idaho is beautiful and seems peaceful, and so a possible option for us to live there.

What is your take on living there, as an Asian? Also, being so far away from other Asians may be too difficult for her in some respects. This is her concern, and now it is mine - I want her to be happy.

Thanks, Ken

Andrea said...

hi, ken: i cannot speak for all of idaho, but at least in boise, people seem rather indifferent to asians. often, people ask me about my heritage but usually i forget i look different than most of the people here.

boise is a very friendly city. seattle is not a far drive (at least it's closer than driving to southern california) to regroup culturally.