22 October 2010

new: bible study

tonight, I went to a bible study at Calvary Chapel. the fellow studiers were singles around 25-30 years old, including my friend Amy. I have not been to church or a bible study in years--for many reasons, mostly personal-- so this new experience prompts much reflection and many questions.

the focus of tonight's study was on the definition of man/sin in order to establish the importance of a foundation in Gos. we looked at 1 Thessalonians 5 and the first few chapters of Genesis. the bible states that man was fashioned after God and was given a task to tend the garden of Eden-- until, as we all know, the serpent tricked Eve and the fall of mankind ensued. we, therefore, are cursed with physical pain and separation from God because of sin. man is three parts: spirit, soul, and body. all three parts suffer because of original sin, but the spirit is important because it is a metaphorical umbilical cord to God. as the bible study leader said, we cannot know God without our spirit and we will be denied entrance into the kingdom of heaven.

cool. I believe all of that. I do not doubt that Eve was tempted by Satan with the false promise that everything would be ok, that through her rebellion she would learn about good and evil, and that sharing her knowledge would lead to greater enlightenment. so mankind is weak; but God made him so. and I believe that Christians are terrified by the thought of eternal separation from God and therefore spending their life away from earth in hell with the devil (any episode of "South Park" would confirm that). but what if the thought of living FOREVER makes me feel so tired and hopeless that I wish for nonexistence beyond my temporal life? like, really, I go through life here and there's still more to it? please.

how do spirit, soul, and body work together? who do I really address when I say things like, "oh my god" and "I swear..."? why don't I pray? (tonight, I prayed out loud for the first time in a prayer circle.) what keeps me from acceptance-- if belief is there, why won't I receive?

we all answer to a higher power. it's figuring out what/who that really is.

2 comments:

Jessica H. said...

Profound thoughts. I have often thought that same thing about the idea of living forever (tiring). But, conversely, can you imagine not existing? I think of it and realize that I am still (when I imagine it) picturing myself as the observer of my non-existence. A quandary for me either way.

Arijaan said...

Hey! Just read this - thanks for working through your thoughts on here, cool to read. Glad you're going! Email me back :)