18 October 2010

new: pool shark

since joining golds gym, I've spent countless hours exercising. I'll admit: boredom seeps in. and you'd think I would know better than dousing my epidermis in a non-chlorinated body of water, but I challenged myself to swim the saline waters at golds today. after months of excuses (I don't have the right swimsuit, I need goggles, what if I contract syphilis from microscopic chunks of floating flesh), I dove right in.

not exactly.

I walked in on an adult water aerobics class. so I sat in the hottub, avoiding the eyes of a rather dimply (and not just in the facial region) old man and a younger couple having a very serious conversation with their eyes. when the class ended, I shuffled over to the pool and dipped a toe in. the water was surprisingly warm-- but not TOO warm, because pool water that is body temperature reminds me of unknowingly swimming into my brother's pee patches in our backyard pool when I was younger. I always had an in-ground pool growing up in California, but my aquatic activities were limited to pretending I was a mermaid and diving for rings aka sunken treasure.

once I hopped into the golds pool, I kind of stood there. I stretched and pretended like I totally knew how to pull a Michael Phelps. except, laps made my shoulders hurt after one very crooked line to the other end. then I tried running in the water; seriously, it was much harder than I thought. feeling lost, I decided to float on my back and listen to the water sounds.

and then I decided to kick and swim backward. this worked out quite well--my shoulders didn't ache and my legs got a workout. in hindsight, I imagine I looked something like a giant silly sea otter but eh.

I'm still pruny and rather cold (I don't think hot showers could ever stop feeling amazing), but I would swim again if I could figure out how to exercise and not look confused. am I too old for swimming lessons?

No comments: