03 November 2010

new: blood and kittens

two new things today:

first, I completed a health screening (although my employer prefers to call it a "wellness incentive") which will hopefully discount my weekly health insurance payments. like most things in life, I pondered the ramifications of learning about myself; I've never had my blood glucose or cholesterol tested and I believe all doctors' scales have a secret vendetta to ruin my self-esteem. in all actuality, my numbers revealed only good things (including that I've supposedly dropped 11.5 points on the BMI scale since joining Gold's-- inflate numbers much, dear trainer?!!!) and my poor finger throbs every now and then to remind me that it was stabbed.

then, the rest of my afternoon was dedicated to an orientation meeting for the local humane society. I decided to volunteer in light of my decreased hours at work, although I originally submitted the application to IHS in March and never heard back. I figured it was misplaced or lost, so I applied again and heard nothing. then I started to wonder if people still think that dogs and asians don't mix, but a quick phone call resulted in finding out my volunteer confirmation letter must have been lost in transit. anyway, I learned a bit about the non-profit organization, how to handle the dogs and cats, and what I will be doing--which is mostly clerical. I saw a room full of bunnies, which I am excited about! working with animals is my volunteer activity of choice because 1) they are cute, 2) they are not people, and 3) I will cure my "ohhh maybe I should get a kitty!" itch.

and I got a free purple volunteer shirt. you know I love free shirts!

No comments: