10 November 2010

new: volunteering

today was my first day as an Idaho humane society volunteer. I even wore my new shirt:





I worked in the volunteer office putting together mailers (ok, more labor intensive than it sounds! labeling 300+ envelopes, folding letters, inserting coupon, and then mailing everything!), and I met several new people-- they were all very nice and appreciative!

then I stopped by the cattery and almost cried.





so then I had to go INSIDE the cattery.





8 week old kittens! and they have tons of big cats too:





at least I had the self-control to avoid the puppy rooms.

I decided to dedicate my time to an organization for animals so that I wouldn't be serving stupid people. but today I saw the effects stupid people have on our furry friends and I'm equally as saddened/frustrated/angry as I would have been at a soup kitchen. I hope my efforts at the volunteer office will encourage other volunteers to share a few hours of their time benefiting their charity of choice.

i know we have busy schedules, but as the back of my IHS volunteer shirt states, "volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they have the heart." well said, elizabeth Andrew, well said.

No comments: