04 November 2010

not new: but still worth posting

I went to winco tonight to buy some food for my party tomorrow, and--like all visits to the grocery store of horrors-- I experienced two things that made me question humanity:

1) I turned right into an aisle and a boy about 11-12 years old was standing in the middle of the row. he was about my height and slender, wearing a baseball hat. his dad looked at me looking at his son/obstacle and said, "move outta the way and let the little girl through." did I almost run over another child? I looked behind me, saw no one, and realized he was talking about me. so because I'm relatively the size of a teenage boy, my adult status needs to be diminuitized why? I'm a grown up, and I feel kind of insulted that people don't take me seriously.

2) while paying for my groceries, the checker looked at me and said, "how old are you?" which I grow increasingly tired of being asked. it's not like when I was 3 and can hold up my chubby fingers to reveal my age and boast about being SO OLD. i'm mid-20's now, people. so I asked why, and she said, "you look 14! and you're using a debit card!" LYKE OMG ROFL IDK LOLZ!!!! so I said, "oh. I'm 15. good guess." and she said, "really? do you drive?" 4 REALZ GURL? "I'm 25 actually." and she just stared at me, handed me my receipt, and said, "wow, good job, honey!" idiot.

why is our society obsessed with youth? should I be thankful that apparently I don't look like whatever 25 is supposed to look like-- that I can shave off half a decade of my age and no one would question me? should I be frustrated that society passes me off as a coming-of-age youngster needing guidance and assistance and curfew checks?

so I guess this means my Britney Spears obsession can stick around for a few more years. no need to rush that.

No comments: